Thursday, March 13, 2008

SOUTHLAND TALES (4 STARS)

Right off, I don't want people to think I'm bashing this movie. I think Richard Kelly (the director) is a genius. Furthermore I believe this film is a work of genius. Though as a whole, me watching this on my couch, with my wife, it's not a good movie in the conventional sense. It has about 100 moments of awesomeness, but in between those moments are total buzz kills.

I'm not going to try to explain what it's about. However, I have to point out that it does have a time travel element in it (for those of you like me who have to see anything that pertains to time travel).

Kelly directed Donnie Darko in 2001. This film has been 7 years in the making, and I think it shows. Definitely be on the look out for anything else this guy might do. I'm tellin' ya, he's a genius.




In the middle of the film, it breaks into an all out Justin Timberlake/Killers music video. I've been watching this clip over and over for the past few months.

No comments: