Thursday, March 13, 2008

ATONEMENT (5 STARS)

Atonement is about perception, coming of age, seeking atonement for your mistakes, and how life doesn't always play out the way it's supposed to, but art can.

This film is SO beautiful, so well acted, so well shot. I believe Joe Wright is the modern master of the period piece, now being 2 for 2 with his 2005 Pride and Prejudice, also starring Keira Kightley. Pride and Prejudice was my favorite movie of 2005. It was perfect in every way. Though I can't find fault in Atonement, I can't say it's nearly as good as Pride and Prejudice. It's the story, mostly, that just goes in unpleasing directions. It does things you wish it didn't. It plays out more like reality. Giving you a dismal uncontrolled outlook on life.

I love this movie, but I know most people won't. It's sad and mean at times. Not really a love story at all, though the cover will have you believe otherwise.

No comments: