Tuesday, March 4, 2008

NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN (5 STARS)

Of coarse this gets 5 stars, this is what is known as a perfect movie. I saw it twice in the theaters. The first time by myself, early afternoon, the place was empty. I was petrified. Plus the screen had a blur in the middle (which is all too common at the keystone arts cinema) which bugged me the whole time. The second time i saw it, i had snook in after watching the new Woody Allen film and it was a packed theater... maybe a month after it had come out. I enjoyed it, but not nearly as much. There was no blur but there was a dude behind me with his girlfriend and he narrated everything that was going on. Plus he was constantly trying to predict what was going to happen. He couldn't let anything go by without saying something about it. I think everyone was so freaked out by the movie they didn't notice him... but i noticed him. The only thing i could enjoy the second time was the humor which was the thing most critics critique. They say the Coen Brother humor takes away from the film. But i loved it the first time and i loved it the second.

NOW...i just watched it a 3rd time. On DVD, in my home, with my wife and dog. (which by the way, it's coming out on DVD this Tuesday and it's still in the Theater... first time I've ever heard of that). Haley hadn't seen it and had always wanted to. She was hysterical! Constantly claiming she was having a heart attack and looking away at the gross stuff. Laughing at every humorous situation. It's like, when you claim a movie is good for a really long time, and then finally you get someone to sit down and watch it with you...you're always worried it won't win them over, you usually feel like apologizing at times and you're always worried it won't have the affect on them you claimed it would... well, this film put me at total ease. It blew her away and i could see it on her face every moment. It surpassed what i the expectation I gave her.

For me it was a great movie watching experience. The 3rd time now, i picked up new things i hadn't noticed, i relaxed during stressful suspenseful scenes, And mostly i could relax during the spouts of dialogue cos i have a little better idea what's going on. The humor was still right on perfect every line.

One complaint i have is that I'M CERTAIN that they cut a little piece out of 2 scenes. The first scene with the handcuffs and the neck and the blood. I'm positive there was more blood squirting. And then the scene with the first hotel clerk... the bit about the rooms and the size of the beds. It got a lot of laughs in the theater, and I think they cut a line or two to make it not funny at all. I checked to see if my theory was right. Now, I'm not sure this is accurate but the feature time in the theater is 123 minutes and the time on the DVD says 122 minutes. 1 minute is all it would take to cut those two things out. SO look for an unrated, extended edition in the future.

No commentary on the DVD(as expected) but 3 cool "behind the scenes looks at; the Coen Brothers, the making of, and Diary of a country Sheriff.

No comments: