Thursday, June 26, 2008

INDIANA JONES - THE KINGDOM OF CRYSTAL SKULL (4 STARS)

My first theater movie of the year. I had the whole place to myself. I bought the ticket with a gift card so i didn't feel like i was wasting money...heck... i even bought a coffee. Sat down and realized i had the whole place to myself. I said, "i'm really going to enjoy this". I breathed in my scolding hot coffee and watched the previews.... American Teen, a dumb chick flick, Batman, and Hancock. I teared up hardcore during American Teen even though i've seen the previews on line about 20 times. Batman choked me up thinking about Heath Ledger... and HANCOCK!! What a great lookin movie! Perfect or Wil Smith. Looks really funny.
Movie stars and i'm bumed already. The open shot is CGI. Then we are reintroduced to Indiana and find that his looks like he's 70. He looked horrible during the first 10 minutes. The dialogue was straight out of a cheezy action comic book. The digital background looked like a stage play. I will say that Cate Blanchett has never been hotter. She looks so got in ever shot of this film.
So anyway..... I got threw the opening with the thought, "I can handle this for a while but if it goes on threw the whole movie, we're in trouble."
I was extremely happy to find that after the first 10 minutes, i settled right in and really started enjoying myself. It was classic Indiana Jones. The wit was there. The action was there. The suspence was there. The over the top effects were there. The chases were better than ever. Shya Labouf (or whatever) "MUTT", i thought, was oustanding. I would never have guess that his role would ever really work. I thought he saved this film. His bike riding was so fun to watch, and he doesn't have that annoying witty snappy come back crap lines that the one guy had in National Treasure. He's straight with comedy, and it works. He pulls off the cool thing very nicely.
I thought this 4th film was extremely bold. To put Indiana in these situations was so odd. I can't list them because they're all spoilers. But... they weren't playin' it safe. The only obvious thing that is sort of a given is Soviet's... communist Russia... the 50's.

The end was bad. Over the top. Ridiculas. Was not at all a classic Indiana ending. So there we have it.
Not a good intro... not a good end... but classic middle.
Favorite scenes... Soda Shop Scene, and Sand Trap Scene.

No comments: