Wednesday, April 2, 2008

THERE WILL BE BLOOD (5 STARS)

Paul Thomas Anderson's 5th full length feature There Will Be Blood is quite possibly the greatest film made this decade. It redefines cinema. It's on an epic scale no film has begun to touch in years and years. No performance has ever been so RAVAGING as Daniel Day Lewis portraying Daniel Plainview, carrying the character with an unprecedented "larger than life" presence in every frame of this 158 minute epic.

Adapted from the 1927 novel OIL!, There will be blood covers a man working his way to the top in southwestern America in the early 1900's. In short, it's about oil and religion.


Further thoughts:

This is my second time watching it. I'm still left with fingernail marks in my hands from clinching my fists so tightly for the majority of the film. I'm left with a horrible migraine and horrible chest pains from the stress. Throughout the film, nothing could be happening, and you soon realize...you haven't been breathing. The movie just grips you! When something actually does happen, you don't know whats going on. You don't know why but you just don't know.(you can quote me on that).

There will be blood
is a 5 act film that has no 4th act. It's not needed. Some say the 5th act is not needed, but if it didn't have the 5th act then I wouldn't be able to say that the end of There will be blood is my favorite ending ever. Which I CAN say.

I have no critiques.

Some advice for first time viewers. Try not to get stressed out. Watch it by yourself or maybe one other person who doesn't do much talking. Really sit and think about what it's really about. Don't read anything like this review or a trailer or youtube clip, it could ruin it for you... just go in cold. Don't listen to anything anyone says. If you haven't seen any other PT Anderson movies...do.

No comments: